The number one skill that people are sorely lacking both in their personal and professional lives is effective interpersonal communication.
Our team works with dozens of top-tier universities, organizations, entrepreneurs and leaders every month, and the number one skill that they consistently ask for help with for themselves and the people they lead is more effective communication.
Imagine being well on your way to becoming a more effective communicator in as little as four hours of dedicated learning which you can consume in your own time, at your own pace.
Imagine how it would feel to have the skills to engender trust, the ability to influence others, being the person that others want to work with (or for), growing as a leader, and ultimately exposing yourself to bigger opportunities.
These are not frivolous outcomes; they are 100% possible by growing your competency as a communicator. And I want to help you achieve these outcomes.
In the fast-paced world we live in, where we have to be reliant on technology and we’re all doing multiple jobs at any given time, it’s incredibly easy to neglect how we’re communicating and how we’re impacting other people.
So much time and money are wasted every day fixing problems that are the direct result of communication breakdowns.
Taking the time to learn and implement the interpersonal skills that are needed to work well with others is paramount. You can have the world’s best training in finance, and, if you can’t explain a P&L to a client or can’t motivate and lead a team, you’ll never rise above a certain organizational level.
Behavior change, specifically as it relates to communication, is hard. It’s the truth, and it takes a lot of time and effort to make improvements on our communication pitfalls. Most people typically fall into one of two camps when it comes to behavior change:
- They don’t believe that there is an “issue” that needs solving
- They recognize something needs changing, and they either don’t know what it is, or don’t know how to work on it
Having blind spots or areas to improve doesn’t make us worthy of criticism; it makes us human.
Introducing: Improvisational Communication
A first-of-its-kind course design using research backed by science and more than two decades of experience
Improvisational Communication is designed to take you from constantly struggling with your blocks and barriers to communication, to a place where you can thrive as a confident—and competent—communicator.
You will discover:
- An authentic approach that embraces and elevates who you are
- Research-based, time-tested skills that you can apply to any situation
- A tried and true framework based on 25 years of results
- How to react on your feet when it matters most
- A five-minute hack for completely transforming any conversation or meeting
- How to increase your awareness in key situations so you can react and adapt effectively
- How to uncover and communicate your best ideas
- How to have difficult conversations without getting derailed by resistance and defensiveness
- How to overcome barriers and blind-spots that derail communication
Developing more effective communication skills will lead to:
- Increased confidence
- Greater trust from others
- Bigger opportunities at work
- Getting ahead in your career
- Less conflict and fear in the workplace
- Easier interactions with difficult people
- Getting your ideas heard and understood
- More team engagement
- More fruitful collaboration
For nearly twenty-five years my organization—Business Improv—has had the great privilege of working with truly amazing businesspeople.
For perspective, in those 20+ years, we’ve trained over 100,000 professionals/students, on six contents, in dozens of countries, through dozens of languages.
Business Improv is the world's leading provider in high-impact, immediately applicable training that links the tenants of improv to business communication, and leaves students with real-world take-aways that are immediately applicable and translatable into every day life (at work and at home).
This online course is the culmination of those 20+ years of experience linking improv to business, and is the very first of its kind.
We do things differently. Our authentic approach doesn’t crowd out the best of who you are: it helps you enhance your authenticity. I don’t want you to be a different person; I want to teach you how to perform at the top of your intelligence.
I’ve had the great fortune of working with some of the world’s leading behavioral psychologists since I started Business Improv, so for more than twenty years I’ve been studying the how’s and why’s of communication through the lens of decision-making and linking all of that to my 25+ years as a professional improviser.
To be clear, this is the very first time that Business Improv is offering an open enrollment session—historically, our clients have been high-paying corporations and universities providing training sessions to their employees. I’m thrilled to be able to offer this opportunity as a way to have direct access to everybody who wants to grow personally and professionally!
Simply stated, this course will help you improve your communication skills, and in doing so, greatly improve your personal and professional lives.
If this course doesn't meet or exceed your expectations, we'll be happy to give you a full 100% refund.
A few notes from our toughest critics - MBA Students!
“This has been one of the best courses I have taken at Fuqua. I strongly believe all incoming students should be exposed to improv. The level of comfort that I felt working with my group during this week has been unequaled by any other experience I have had at Fuqua. … an intensive improv course, like we enjoyed this week, would be a fantastic addition to the curriculum.” -Lauren Hughes
“This has been one of the great weeks of my recent life and certainly of my educational experience. I found improvisation refined and toned a part of my brain that may not get enough of a regular workout. I appreciate Fuqua’s willingness to explore the non-traditional approach to developing the skills we honed this week.” -Julia Farnham
“I am convinced that the Business Improvisations class is amongst the most rewarding and unique experiences I have had at Fuqua. I am certain that there are many practical real-life uses for the material we learned this week.” -Christopher D. Johnson
“This has been a great class. I feel that it is invaluable for international students, as I have seen those who have been quiet as mice all year truly come out of their shells. It’s probably one of the best experiences that Iíve had at Fuqua and one that I will remember and apply for years to come.” -Vijay Sankaran
“Overall, I felt the Business Improvisations course achieved a rare goal of academia: learning by doing, while entertaining amassing some knowledge to boot. I would recommend this class to everyone!” -Michelle Xun
“(Dynamic Management: Workshop In Improvisation) has been the best confidence-building experience at Fuqua. No other experiences have forced students to participate in exercises in which they don’t know what will happen.” -Nicolette Johnson
“I thought (the exercises created specifically for Fuqua) captured the spirit of improvisation while effectively addressing business principles. This course achieved a rare goal of academic experience – it allowed students to have fun while learning valuable skills and amassing practical knowledge.” -David A. Torgerson
Intelligently designed with busy professionals and leaders in mind
Your success is what I am most focused on in delivering this course. I mentioned before that my approach has always been focused on applicability and transferability, and this course is built on those principles. The lessons are laser-focused on specific challenges that build on each other for more robust deliverables and take-aways as you progress through the course. This course is the very first of its kind, and I'm confident that it is (and always will be) unmatched in its approach. Here's why:
- 80 professionally shot, high-quality video lessons, broken up into 8 modules that build on each other. The communication-training field is so full of solutions based on soundbites, untested theory and unrealistic promises. This course strives to be different by providing proven strategies in an easy to digest format.
- More than 45 downloadable worksheets that culminate into a synthesized Action Plan, designed to be achievable and actionable.
- Lifetime access to the course. Watch any time, as many times as you want. You can watch on any device and the software is highly intuitive for tracking your progress. You will also receive updates to this course, for life.
- BONUS: Three additional downloadable cheat sheets covering deep-dive topics of interest.
- 100% money-back guarantee. If you're not satisfied, I'll refund you.
- Intro to Module 1 (0:33)
- Barriers (2:07)
- The Reality About Behavior Change (1:29)
- React / Adapt / Communicate (3:47)
- Divergent / Convergent Thinking (4:05)
- Energy Manipulation (2:28)
- Framing of Language: Yes, And... (2:18)
- Postponing Judgment (5:01)
- How does this matter in my world? (3:15)
- Homework (1:36)
- Intro to Module 3 (1:29)
- Let's Talk About Mindfulness (2:22)
- Exercise: Yes, And Conversation (5:32)
- Exercise: Yes, And Conversation - Breaking It Down (1:18)
- Exercise: Yes, But Conversation (3:14)
- Exercise: Yes, But Conversation - Breaking It Down (1:04)
- Yes, And vs Yes, But (11:44)
- Yes, And vs Yes, But - Bringing It All Together (3:32)
- How does this matter in my world? (2:06)
- Homework (0:47)
- Intro to Module 4 (0:33)
- Self-Audit vs Self-Edit (1:21)
- Warm-Up! (1:52)
- Techniques for Managing Conflict (6:53)
- "Yes, And" for Conflict Management (2:02)
- Exercise: "Yes, And" Debate (7:24)
- "Yes, And" Debate - Putting It to the Test (7:34)
- "Yes, And" Debate - Bringing It All Together (1:04)
- How does this matter in my world? (1:57)
- Homework (0:50)
- Intro to Module 6 (0:47)
- Barriers (Revisited) (5:16)
- "SAD JR QB" (4:13)
- A Culture of Acceptance (3:54)
- Panning for Gold (1:20)
- Warm-Up! (3:22)
- Exercise: Party Planner (8:01)
- Exercise: Party Planner Pt. 2 (7:16)
- 9 Keys for Better Collaboration (4:49)
- How does this matter in my world? (2:38)
- Homework (1:08)
Carefully Designed Lessons to Get You Results Quickly
- Short, value-packed videos
- Entertaining instruction by a seasoned performer and adjunct professor
- The latest research distilled into actionable insights
- Interesting stories and examples to illustrate important principles
- Action plans to help you implement and integrate quickly
- Downloadable worksheets and tools for easy application and review of lessons learned
Get a sneak peek inside Improvisational Communication
Take an extended look at a popular lesson pulled directly from the course. Each of the 80 lessons in the course are similar to this.
Taught by a 30 year veteran improviser who's been linking improv to business for more nearly 25 years.
Hi, I'm Bob Kulhan, Founder & CEO of Business Improv, and creator of Improvisational Communication.
My love story with improv started more than 30 years ago in Chicago, IL, better known as the birthplace of improv. I had the great fortune of being taught this amazing art form from the people who created it. I was coached by people like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Improvisation has been my life's passion for more than half of my life, and I am insanely grateful that I get to share this great art form with others!
My company, Business Improv, first started way back in 2000 when I was given the very unique opportunity of delivering a managerial improv program to a group of at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business. That program was the world’s very first credit-bearing improv program offered at a business school. Today, in addition to dozens of university partners, we now offer credit-bearing electives at three (soon to be four) business schools.
I regularly work with the world's top business schools, bluechip organizations, and government agencies. Business Improv has trained over 100,000 professionals/students, on six contents, in dozens of countries, through dozens of languages. In addition to consulting work, I am also a professional speaker and facilitator.
An investment in your future
This is an investment in yourself, and like any good investment, there is absolutely a return. The higher you want to move in your career (regardless of industry or your profession), your communication skills are going to be paramount in achieving those goals.
The biggest and most fulfilling opportunities in life come about thanks to strong personal and professional relationships. Forming and benefitting from these relationships requires strong communication skills. In a very real way, what you learn in this course will continue to benefit your professional and personal life for years to come.
As I mentioned above, Improvisational Communication is the very first online course of its kind. We made the strategic decision to offer an online course as a way to reach and help more students.
Historically speaking, the only way to attend one of our training sessions was:
- As an elective in your MBA program, which is a significant investment of time and money
- Through a university Executive Education intensive, which can range in price from $3,000 - $6,000 (or more)
- Or through one of our customized corporate workshops for which organizations pay top dollar
For the first time, we are offering access to this training at a fraction of what you would have had to pay before today. Again, we want to reach and help more people with this framework that we’ve spent over twenty years developing.
Click the button below to join us now. You’ll get immediate access to the course materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why improv? Is this a comedy class?
As an art form, improvisation is rooted in communication, collaboration, team-work, trust, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I define Business Improv as the critical moment when strategy meets execution. We exclusively teach improv as a set of tools and techniques for personal and professional growth. We don’t just simplify your needs to make them fit into what’s available from comedic improv. Instead, we take the tenets of improv and elevate them to the sophisticated and intelligent needs that our clients demand.
Isn't improv just making stuff up when you don't know what to do?
This question is actually covered in the sample video above. And, if you think about real teams that improvise well (First Responders, Special Forces Military, ER Doctors and Nurses, Professional Sports Teams, etc.) and think about why they are able to improvise when it matter most, what you find is surprising to a lot of people. Improvisation is not the lack of preparation; on the contrary, improv is the abundance of preparation. Improv is rooted in preparation, repetition, and consistency.
English is not my native language. Will Improvisational Communication still work for me?
The answer, in short, is absolutely. Regardless of industry, profession (corporate or entrepreneur), language, region and culture. We've had the privilege of working with over 100,000 people all over the world for more than 20 years and know for certain that the communication skills we teach supersede the barriers listed above. Though our course is taught in English, the tools are 100% translatable and we know this because of the thousands of participants we teach who are not native-English speakers. This online course is the culmination of those 20+ years of experience linking improv to business at the very highest level.
How long is Improvisational Communication? Is it manageable?
This course was designed with business professionals in mind. We strategically designed the modules to pack significant value without overwhelming in any way. In full, the total course is just under 4 hours. The delivery mode is in bite-size "snackable" videos that are mostly less than 5 minutes, with just a handful that are longer. And, because you have lifetime access, you can rewatch the videos as many times as you'd like.
How does enrollment work?
When you enroll in Improvisational Communication you will receive immediate access to the course.
Is this course a purchase I can write-off in my business or expense at my company?
First, make sure to check with your accountant (I am not an accountant, and am therefore not giving tax advice). What I do know is that people very often can get training reimbursed by their organizations or write off training as an expense. And, my team would be more than happy to provide a written letter of completion once you have officially finished the course (if it would be helpful for seeking reimbursement).
What if I don't like Improvisational Communication?
We got your back. Your purchase is protected by a no-questions-asked, 100% money-back guarantee.
What else will I need to purchase after I sign up?
Absolutely nothing. We've provided everything you need.
I have other questions. How do I ask them?
You can send us an email at [email protected] and someone from our team will be in contact within 24 hours.
On the fence? I have a 30-day money back guarantee.
I'm confident you'll be very satisfied with this course. My team and I have spent the better part of three years researching and experimenting with bringing our tried-and-true methodologies to the digital classroom, and we've received incredible feedback from the dozens of people who have been able to experience our online learning solutions.
And, if you're not satisfied with your purchase, then I will absolutely give you your money back. As such, I offer a 30-day, no-questions-asked 100% money-back guarantee. 30-days gives you enough time to get through the entire course, so if you're dissatisfied for any reason during those first 30 days, I got your back and will refund you in full.